Fathead dough is a total game-changer! There are a lot of subtle variations on the basic fat-head dough recipe, so experiment with them! I like to make pizzas with this dough, as it comes out a little more bread-like than my other fathead pizza dough recipes. There are no rules!!
SERVINGS 6 bagels PREP TIME 15 minutes COOK TIME 12 minutes
1 1/2 cup Almond flour
1 tbsp Gluten-free baking powder
2 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
2 oz Cream cheese
2 large Eggs, beaten
Sesame seeds (for topping – optional; I do not use them)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Stir together the almond flour and baking powder. Set aside.
3. Combine the shredded mozzarella and cubed cream cheese in a large bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Stir again at the end until well incorporated. (If you don’t want to use the microwave, heat the cheeses in a double broiler on the stove over low heat, stirring frequently, until completely melted and easy to stir.)
4. Stir the flour mixture and eggs into the melted cheese mixture. Working quickly while the cheese is still hot, knead with your hands until a dough forms. The dough will be very sticky, but keep kneading and squeezing through your fingers for a few minutes. If the dough becomes hard before fully mixed, is too difficult to mix, or is still sticky after a couple minutes, you can microwave/reheat for 15-20 seconds to soften it. In that case, wash your hands and knead again.
NOTE: It’s very important for the dough to be
completely uniform before proceeding to the next step. You shouldn’t have
pieces of cheese separate from areas of almond flour.
5. Divide the dough into 6 parts. Form/roll a long log with each part, then press the ends together to make a bagel shape on the lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough. If using sesame seeds, sprinkle them over the bagels and gently press into the dough. (You can also use everything seasoning for everything bagels.)
6. Bake for 10-14 minutes, until the bagels are firm and golden.